Monday, January 25, 2010

Putting things in order

The Christmas Walk is now just a memory. Hundreds of people went through it, and I would say it was a success. Always good to see people smiling.

Lily is safe and home. So Seana is smiling. That means Sabrina is smiling too. That's good.

Aurora is...well, she is no more. Everyone can breathe a bit more easily, at least until Krenshar finds out. Not sure how he will take the news. Still, it was an accident. Sheriff Gallagher will attest to that. No one saw anything that even remotely resembled foul play.

Imrhien has returned to town. She is in fine form. Glad to be shot of the responsibility of flying someone else's ship, and looking for all the world like the pilot she was born to be. I might see if she wants to work for us. We could use a good pilot. Well, I could use a good pilot. A lot of things coming up that are going to require someone with a rather special skillset. Now that her head's clear, could be she's the right one for the job. If not, well, its good to see her home anyway.

Krenshar is well settled into his compound. Seems he's got a lot of activity over there. I resist the urge to see what he's up to. I probably don't want to know. Unfortunately, just keeping my eyes off his business is not enough to keep me separate from it. I just hope he does not go totally mad. Its quite possible he will understand. In fact, if things are going as planned, not only will he understand but he will help with the next things.

General has kept a lid on any trouble that might try to brew around the landing pads. Lucky for the few who did come in without giving the tower a hail first, he also spent a lot of time resting. Sleeping in fact. Seems quite comfortable up there in Seana's office. Maybe he should think about taking a job up there. He's got a sharp eye and he's trustworthy.

Sobi and Jade are gone. You could see that one coming. He was not meant to settle in one place, and she needed to see the world. You'd think she'd had seen enough of it but, well, lets say you could just see it coming. Vaya Con Dios my friend. Safe travels and safe returns.

Word is Lilia is going to be takin' on some of the bar work. She's a good woman. Good manager. Cute too. Sassy. I like that. If I wasn't already committed to seeing things through with a certain Commander, I might be tempted to see if that one would like to keep me some company.

But, love is a funny thing. Some people can be in love and still experiences all the delights the 'Verse has to offer. Seems to work for them real good. Others, once they feel the Love Bug bite, they are hooked like a fish could be hooked on good hook. Don't even mind the pain. I'm one of the latter. Still, time to time I still see something or someone that captures my attention. Never lasts. I don't let it. I know you are likely to go where you look. So, I don't look on anywhere near a regular basis.

Miss Jai is in transit. Again. Not sure what to make of that one. Still, she's a good source of information. And her friend Deese, well she's right comely.

That handsome Sheriff Gallagher has been lurking around quite a bit. I do not know what Lily sees in him. Well, I do but I can't believe what I see. He's crass, prone to using the law to his own advantage, and is about as cold as a cold stone. In fact, the only time I've ever seen him be kind was to Lily come to think of it. He's awfully protective of her. But he's a hard one to get a handle on. I'm sure he's one of the good guys, so other than running the occasional check on his activities, I think its pretty safe to just let him have free access to the facilities. Not that I could stop him anyway.

Emma has done a great job keeping the office in order. Don't know what I'd do without that girl. I wish I'd been able to keep her better housed and better paid. Maybe this year things will pick up. Since taking the company in the direction of research rather than manufacturing, funds have been tight. I'm seriously thinking about bringing some of our factory holdings back, reactiviating some of the employees. I see that food here on Hales is getting in shorter and shorter supply. I can't see putting Emma to work as a farmer, but she could manage a factory along with her other duties. It would all be automated anyway.

Nack and his crew continue to run the Friendliest Bar in the 'Verse, and I seen Sentry and Lorie are now working there. That Nack has a way with business, you know. He's a fine fellow. Seein' Lorie hooked up with Sentry was kind of a surprise but a good one. He seems like a good enough sort.

I need to spend some time with Miss Miya. I think we have some common interests, at least that is the impression I got during the time Sanctuary was in this section of the Verse. Since its due to reenter here real soon now, I won't wait too long.

Things are all pretty much sorted.

It's time to honour my promise. One day with Miss Pepper. She has questions. I have answers.
And, although I know she is one of "them" what I left all that time ago, so as not to end up like my mother, I also think there is a depth to her that includes more than a desire to rise in rank.

I guess I will see.

Well, of course I will see. How could I not.

The question is, what will I see? And has she really thought this through? Taking me, even for a short period of time, into the most 'secret' of secret places. It is said that when Uncle Simon broke my mother out of the facility, that first time, the men who managed it received a visit from an Operative.

I hope the same does not happen to Major Pepper.

No comments: